This is a super-easy and super-tasty sandwich to whip up – and it’s a good-looking dish to boot. Store-bought traditional Indian lime pickle and any fruit chutney will work with this – I used Julie Le Clerc’s delicious Arabian Date Chutney.
Roasted Spiced Carrot Sando with Lime Pickle Mayo and Chutney
Makes 6 open sandwiches
1.5kg carrots, cut into chunky batons
⅓ cup cooking oil
3 Tbsp spice mix (see recipe below)
1 loaf sourdough (or bread of your choice)
1 iceberg lettuce
¾ cup fruit chutney
Bunch fresh coriander
Fresh black pepper
Lime pickle mayonnaise (see recipe below)
Dukka (if you have it)
¼ cup cumin seeds, roasted and ground
2 Tbsp ground coriander
½ Tbsp turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ Tbsp flaky sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. There is more than you need for this recipe, so keep what is left over in a sealed jar and use however you like.
Lime Pickle Mayonnaise
1 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp lime pickle
Using a wand blender or similar, blitz the lime pickle through the mayonnaise. Refrigerate until required.
What to do
1. Place a roasting tray in the oven and preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Put the carrot batons in a suitable-sized bowl. Add the oil, 3 tablespoons spice mix and a liberal grind of fresh black pepper.
3. Once the oven is hot, pour the carrots onto the preheated oven tray and roast for 20 minutes or so. Remove and set aside.
4. Cut 6 thick slices of sourdough and toast until golden.
5. Spread toast liberally with lime pickle mayonnaise, layer with large pieces of iceberg, top with roasted carrots, dot here and there with chutney, sprinkle with dukka and add a couple of stems of coriander.
6. Eat now...